Location: Kamphaeng Saen, Thailand
The World Vegetable Center (WorldVeg) is a non-profit, autonomous international agricultural research center with headquarters in Taiwan and five regional offices around the globe. WorldVeg conducts research and development programs that contribute to realizing the potential of vegetables for healthier lives and more resilient livelihoods. For more information please visit our website: www.worldveg.org.
WorldVeg is seeking a Vegetable Breeder to join the Center as a Scientist – Cucurbit Breeding. The position will be based at the WorldVeg Research and Training Station in Kamphaeng Saen, Thailand, and will report to the Principal Plant Breeder - Cucurbits.
• Develop pumpkin, bitter gourd, and luffa cultivars for multiple market segments targeting smallholder farmers in tropical regions.
• Conduct field, greenhouse, and laboratory experiments for developing elite climate smart cucurbit lines and F1 hybrids that combine disease resistance with superior fruit quality, high yield, and nutritional value.
• Gradually take over the lead of the WorldVeg cucurbit breeding program.
• Strengthen WorldVeg research and breeding consortia and coordinate multi-environment field trials in cooperation with public and private sector partners.
• Contribute to building capacity at WorldVeg and partners in the use of breeding methods, plant breeding software, and data management.
• Develop project proposals to raise funds for the WorldVeg breeding program, manage research projects and prepare reports.
• Foster teamwork, leading a team of research assistants and field workers and ensuring a cohesive working environment.
• Strengthen and nurture the Center’s relationships with the host institution Kasetsart University and WorldVeg partners.
• Organize or actively participate in field days, workshops, and training events, welcome visitors, interns, and scientists, and promote WorldVeg as an ‘Open Science Center’.
• Publish research in peer-reviewed journals.
• Perform any other duties as required by the needs of the Center and as directed by the supervisor.
Required qualifications, experience, and specific competencies:
• Ph.D. degree in plant breeding or related discipline
• Vegetable breeding
• Hands-on experience in cucurbit breeding is a plus.
• Strong skills in genetics, statistics, and experimental design
• Strong communication skills in spoken and written English
• The candidate should enjoy working with multidisciplinary teams in a multicultural and multinational environment and with collaborators from the public and private sectors.
This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position with competitive pay and benefits. The initial appointment is for three years and may be extended depending on the performance of the incumbent and the availability of resources.
The candidate we hire will embody WorldVeg’s Five Core Values:
1. Dedication to Innovation and Knowledge Sharing - Supports the conduct of world-class science, respects ethical standards, and is committed to sharing results in a transparent manner.
2. Commitment to Impact - Aspires to achieve positive, tangible, and lasting impact contributing to Sustainable Development Goals.
3. Commitment to Partnerships - Believes in the value of partnerships to advance research for development.
4. Respect for People - Respect the diversity of gender, culture, ethnic origin, religion, age, beliefs, and views.
5. Respect for the Environment - Strives to minimize its environmental impact and to introduce greener technology and practices.
How to Apply:
Applicants should submit a letter of application explaining their suitability for and interest in the position along with a curriculum vitae, a recent passport-size photograph, names, and addresses (including telephone/e-mail) of three referees, and date of availability to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 30 June 2023. The position will remain open until it is closed.